Wednesday, August 16, 2017

081617




Speaker


Carla backed up so she could see the reef better. A tessellation of almost-identical shells, each occupied by something vaguely resembling an octopus, individually as intelligent as a cat, and about half the size of a cryopod. As in a coral, the "animals" were connected, forming one colonial organism. It sounded like the cell right in front of her was the one that had spoken. Last time, the colony had been much smaller, and it had not understood her next question.

"Which one of you spoke?"

I am only one. There is no one else but you.

That was interesting. The first few visits, she had not been sure it recognized her as an independent entity. And the language lessons she'd broadcast from the buoy seemed to have been assimilated. Was it gaining intelligence as it grew? She went through the rest of the questions, recording the answers.

"I'll be back next year. Your health and prosperity."

As on her previous visits, it only responded to direct questions.

--

You have returned. Why?

The reef was huge, extending several meters above sea level and for kilometers along the sand ridge. The base was lost in darkness. She hovered above the waves on the seaward side. As always, it seemed that the polyp directly in front of her was the speaker, though she never could see an organ moving or vibrating. She set up a slow leftward drift of the skimmer, to see if the conversation stayed with the original polyp or moved with her.

"You are my research project," she said. "I study you, to find out how you grow, how you think, what you do." The reef was silent for a bit.

Again, why? Small organisms that I eat don't visit me. Only you visit me, and you are not like anything else I know.

The voice moved with her, transferring seamlessly from one polyp to the next.

"I visit you because my people want to learn about others. Because we are not alone."

Another pause.

Do you know others like me?

"I don't," she said. She and her Thesis Committee had agreed to say nothing about the fossil reefs stranded 100 meters above sea level. The reef spoke again.

I will create a motile form. It will transport my essence as you do for your "people." There will be more like me. They will speak with you.

Your health and prosperity.





Publ. Daily Cabal, 2009

No comments: